Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) is an annual herb in the family Apiaceae native to southern Europe and North Africa to southwestern Asia. It is a soft, hairless plant growing to 50 centimeters (20 in) tall.
CORIANDER WHOLE SEEDS
- Visual Inspection: Split Seeds
- Moisture: 12%
- Purity: 98%
- Broken Seeds: 6% max
- Colour: from pale yellow to brown
The leaves are variable in shape, broadly lobed at the base of the plant, and slender and feathery higher on the flowering stems. Among the biggest producers of coriander are Morocco,Canada, India, Pakistan, Argentina, Romania and Bulgaria.
In Bulgaria the traditional regions of growing coriander are Bourgas, Karnobat, Yambol Chirpan and Dobrudja.
Corriander has been a use as a spice since ancient times in different ypes of cury.
The Chinese believe that the seeds of a coriander plant have the power to bestow immortality. The peruvians used the seeds and the leaves to flavour food and the ancient Egyptians used just the leaves in soup. Corriander seeds have been even found in the tombs from the 21st Egyptian Dynasty.
The seeds are widely used in pharmacy and cosmetic industry.A one of the best coriander is considered the Moroccan one, growning also in Canada. In Europe, including Bulgaria is grown the European type of coriander, smaller, but higher quantity of fat.
Given below is the amount of nutrients in 100 gm of coriander
|Protein –||2.13 gm|
|Vitamin A||6748 IU|
|Vitamin B6||0.149 mg|
|Vitamin C||27 mg|
|Vitamin E||2.5 mg|
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Coriander
- Helps in the removal of phlegm and also aids secretion and discharge of urine.
- Containing an antibacterial compound, cilantro has been found to provide a natural means of fighting Salmonella, a cause of food-borne sickness.
- Anti-inflammatory properties that might alleviate symptoms of arthritis.
- Provide effective protection against urinary tract infections.
- Researchers have pointed out that coriander helps stimulate the secretion of insulin and also lowers blood sugar.
- Lowering bad cholesterol and raising good one.
- Consumption of coriander seeds has been known to lessen excessive menstrual flow.
- Coriander juice, when mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder, serves as an effective remedy against pimples, blackheads and dry skin.
- Leaves of coriander act as stimulants and tonics for the stomach, strengthening its functions as well as promoting digestion.
- The seeds have been associated with offering a feeling of coolness and also reducing fever.
- Cilantro is good for treating nausea and intestinal gas and is also a good source of dietary fiber.